6 Strategy Tips for Developing a Top Notch Quality Assurance Department
The Quality Assurance Department at a corporation is assigned the task of assuring that clients, customers or patients receive the best possible product or service while maintaining errors at a minimum. Quality Assurance sets standards for a product or service and then checks to see that the products or services meet the standards. An excellent Quality Assurance Department assures patient/customer satisfaction, thus repeat business for the company. While testing plays a major role, there are six strategy tips for managers to implement to develop a top notch Quality Assurance Department.
- Define Quality within the Company’s Realm of Expertise: Companies may generally be categorized as either service or product oriented businesses. What standards define a quality service or product for a particular company? Does the service of product pass the functional, performance and usability tests?
- Set Measures for Progress: Company leaders should set error limits and devise plans to locate potential culprits before it turns into a major problem. A Quality Assurance Department with no goals wanders aimlessly. Specific goals are measures for progress.
- Diversity Required: The Quality Assurance Team should consist of a diversified well trained team of employees. Knowledge from all departments in a company is required. A small business may have a Quality Assurance Team consisting of one person. This person should have a general knowledge of all aspects of the business. However, the Quality Assurance Team for a larger corporation may include 5 or more employees. Each employee on the team may be knowledgeable in a different department.
- Hire Knowledgeable, Passion Driven Employees: Most businesses hire knowledgeable employees, but employees may be lacking passion. Passion driven employees hold themselves to a higher level of expectation. The Quality Assurance Team will find it easier to work with highly motivated employees. Quality Assurance goals are obtained regularly and in less time.
- Employee Training: Individuals learn through different methods. Train employees with instructional videos, one-on-one and utilize outside training sources. Training and career development results in company loyalty and employees that are concerned with outcome objectives. Supply employees with the knowledge needed to work smarter. Knowledge is the key to low error ratings.
- Update Software and Other Tools: Increase speed while maintaining minimal errors by updating software and other tools. Good software and tools results in increased productivity and repeat business. Ergonomical chairs and a comfortable environment provide health benefits for employees and increase production levels.
*Photo courtesy of at Flickr’s Creative Commons.